The A-313 Climax Locomotive was manufactured in Corry PA in 1902.
Charles D. Scott invented the Climax Locomotive prior to 1888 for use in transporting logs through the heavily wooded and hilly area surrounding the lumber mill he ran with Mr. Akins. Their lumber mill was located about 2 miles northeast of Spartansburg on what is now Old Route 77. Parts of the tram road where the original Climax was used are still visible on Google Earth.
The following article from the June, 1991 Spartansburg Sentinel (a replica of The Sentinel that was published between 1885-1924) relates an interview with Charles Scott’s son. Wells Eugene Scott was 91 years old at the time of the interview but had a clear memory of his father and the events relating to the Climax.
Photos from Martin E. Hansen Collection
Pictures from Climax Manufacturing in Corry PA– showing Class A,B and C engines and some of the crew who worked there. (Link will take you to trainorders.com website)
The photos above are from the https://www.trainorders.com/ website- further information as well as additional pictures of Climax Locomotives can be found there (membership required for full access.